• <td id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></td>
  • <table id="om8mq"><center id="om8mq"></center></table>
    <table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table><table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table>
  • <table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table>
  • <xmp id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript><table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table>
    <bdo id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></bdo>
  • <xmp id="om8mq"><table id="om8mq"></table>
  • <table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table>
  • <table id="om8mq"><option id="om8mq"></option></table>
    <bdo id="om8mq"></bdo>
  • <bdo id="om8mq"></bdo>
    <td id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></td><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript>
  • Game Development Community

Terrain Detail texture problems...

by Andy Wright · in Torque 3D Beginner · 07/24/2010 (4:53 pm) · 28 replies

Hey all,

Been playing around with the t3d demo a little, and ive come across a problem with a terrain ive made from a 1024x1024 heightmap, it has a single 4096x4096 texture covering the whole zone, and on a separate layer ive started detailing area's that i want grassed over with the standard grass1 texture, and relevant detail map, however its only showing on certain plane's and have no idea what ive done wrong here lol... anyway heres a pic, if anyone has any suggestions on what ive possible done wrong, any help would be appreciated. also let me know if theres anything else you would like to know about the zone settings etc.

www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/d29e7b1f3106eec6ced5b64c0ed36c836g.jpg
    as you can see, theres a distinct line where the terrain section has the detail texture working, and the section next to it, with the same grass texture, painted at the same time doesent have it showing...

help :(

[Edit] oh and a side question, does terrain tiling not work in t3d, like it did in tge/tgea ? :|
    Page «Previous 1 2
    07/24/2010 (5:13 pm)
    right ok, problem sorted... totally reliant on sods law after a whole morning playing around trying to work out what ive done wrong i figure it out 5 mins after posting about it... kinda interesting what fixed it.

After specifying a detail texture onto the 4096x4096 base mountain texture for the whole zone, it kicked the detail specified for the grass into action... if i take out the rock's detail image, it disables the detail on about 80% of the grass like in the picture above lol... anyways, thats sorted, but is it possible to tile a terrain like in tge/a ?
    07/24/2010 (7:52 pm)
    @Andy - We don't have terrain tiling working officially right now. We're looking to do some improvements to terrain soon and that is a high priority.
    07/24/2010 (8:04 pm)
    awesome stuff tom, got the parallax goin on the terrain now too, omg that made me all sticky having detail, normal and parallax on the terrains, plus the lighting, sunflare and ray's it looks great.

What ive done in just a day is lookin fantastic compared to what i could have achieved in a month with tge or tgea. once finances are a bit smoother here im definately going to look into a full license on this one even though im just a hobbyist lol, not even working on a game or anything, just like making terrains plus assets and taking screenshots lately whenever i have the time to play around with it lol.

great stuff guys :)
    07/24/2010 (8:31 pm)
    damn Im mclovin this lol... half a day and ive got this already.

www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1831bb4b4339b84efab3c80688814d7b6g.jpgwww.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/af65373951832e8ab5f7b5ec6f5930e56g.jpgwww.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/7c9dd9c5ad988b48fddd34581b8cde216g.jpgwww.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/c7355fb234252cc23e81422e94187b886g.jpg

the base heightmap was generated with geocontrol2 then manually edited and tweaked in alot of places. grasslands smoothed out alot once within torque, and the mountain range roughed up a little with some noise. love how the stratified rocks showing up with the parallax and shadowing :D

overall the map is 8km square

can only begin to imagine what can be done by someone with more experience and skill within t3d.
    07/24/2010 (8:36 pm)
    Nice mountains. [drools]

Must admit to being a cartography/topology buff.
    07/24/2010 (8:52 pm)
    thanks steve,

really need a good setup for a scatter cloud/sun/shadow setup, work on a decent skybox and figure out a good balance between foliage and the base ground texture without it looking overused and cheesey...
    07/24/2010 (9:24 pm)
    Steve, when im closer to completion youre welcome to have the map if you wanna use it for anything lol, it will just sit in my folders doing nowt...

thinkin back theres some other bits I wanna talk with you about, do you use msn ? if ya do can ya gimme a shout at fenix@emailaccount.com sometime.
    07/24/2010 (9:51 pm)
    That looks good Andy, keep at it!
    07/24/2010 (10:24 pm)
    heh nice, the zone feels even bigger once im on foot with gideon, takes 9 mins 20 secs to run along one of the edges corner to corner
    07/24/2010 (10:38 pm)
    Gideon does move rather fast, but then a realistic run speed is terrible for gameplay.
    07/24/2010 (11:03 pm)
    Yeah Gideon does move too fast -- even at half the speed of the old orc! Realisitic human walk/run speeds isn't all that fun in a game so it's up to the designer to find that perfect balance. But just imagine how big that area will seem by the time you add scenery, obstructions, interaction points, and gameplay.

You will lose some shape definition (ie detail) but you can increase the squareSize of the terrain and make it even larger.
    07/24/2010 (11:28 pm)
    yeah ive played around with that, its set to 4m per square, going higher looked too blocky on the mountains, and lower made the zone feel small.

without the tiling though and the visible zone edges that makes it feel smaller too then it would with a proper visible horizonline from tiling making it feel more complete, ive tried making it look like an island by surrounding with water and shaping it around but it doesent feel or look right. might play around with some other groundplanes around it see what i can shape around but would be alotta hassle stitching them up lol
    07/25/2010 (12:18 am)
    That tiling feature is one of the things I miss the most. It can be argued that it's up to the designer to hide the edges of the terrain, but that kinda limits one to making islands or creating artificial terrain blocks with impassable areas just so you don't see those edges.

An area I had been working on is set on a plateau and the more I ran around on this terrain block in mid air the more I felt that the horizon was missing something. Using a groundplane alleviated part of that feeling, but it still felt and seemed unnatural. Eventually I ended up using multiple terrain blocks (5) and a groundplane for something that looked more right - yet that was a cumbersome solution... definitely a lot of hassle stitching them together.

Enough of my ramble, just wanted to say again that those mountains look awesome!
    07/27/2010 (9:36 pm)
    @Andy - Thats a pretty sweet looking terrain... better than most i've seen in games.
    07/27/2010 (11:02 pm)
    wow :o thanks Tom ! didnt expect something like that...

really cant get the hang of the billboard grass though, honestly starting to feel like it looks better plain with just the normals and parallax... will leave that till its a lil populated more with trees, with that though the final look and feel is all very dependant on the quality of the assets...

need to make a better transition texture between the grass and the rocks of the lower mountains, currently its all looking a bit too sharp of a change

Started a flowing dunes desert aswell desert one aswell thats looking allright too. will post some screenies of that when the base terrains all laid out.
    07/27/2010 (11:46 pm)
    I offer a !100% free! made for T3D terrain texture set. You may need to build normal maps, as i dont think T3D had terrain normals working correctly when i posted that set.

As soon as the next T3D is out, I am hopeful to update that pack(and actually make a more official announcement about it.), as I am also hopeful T3D's last few remaining terrain normal oddities are fixed.

torque.abigholeintheweb.com/public_system/useruploads/texture_sets/CayloTerrainT... Big thanks to eb for the file space and bandwidth!
    07/28/2010 (12:13 am)
    as a request from jondo i started a desert dunes map, having looked at some reference pics, and feeling that what i usually see in games myself for deserts or dunes feels very angular, or flat, ive kinda tried to go with something thats a bit more flowing and come up with this sofar...

its a big old map though lol and im smoothing it all out by hand and detailling the flows... can just about see gideon in it, and thats one corner of the map, mebbe a 12th of the total map on view ... detail texture isnt in view on it from there, looks allright on foot though.

www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/f86e980fc5d097f545106bcafc9e95e16g.jpg
    damn the picture looks really bland compared to how it looked ingame lol
    07/28/2010 (8:27 am)
    heya caylo, thanks for that set, theres alotta usefull stuff in there.
    07/28/2010 (10:31 am)
    Thanks. The set I have sitting on my desktop is cleaner, larger and more complete. I am looking forward to posting it very soon. The naming convention remains the same for seamless expandability.
    Page «Previous 1 2

免费污片不要钱的f2富二代app短视频下载安装 v1.1 - 风刑软件站