• <td id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></td>
  • <table id="om8mq"><center id="om8mq"></center></table>
    <table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table><table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table>
  • <table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table>
  • <xmp id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript><table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table>
    <bdo id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></bdo>
  • <xmp id="om8mq"><table id="om8mq"></table>
  • <table id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></table>
  • <table id="om8mq"><option id="om8mq"></option></table>
    <bdo id="om8mq"></bdo>
  • <bdo id="om8mq"></bdo>
    <td id="om8mq"><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript></td><noscript id="om8mq"></noscript>
  • Game Development Community

is GG search finalized ?

by Orion Elenzil · in Site Feedback · 02/05/2009 (10:34 am) · 18 replies

i hope not.
    here's a challenge:
    what search will turn up this forum thread ?

"Box2D" doesn't do it. "box2d" doesn't do it.

"google code" (with quotes) seems to be searching for either "google" or "code", not the phrase. "+google +code" turns up nothing. "google AND code" turns up nothing.

etc.

use case:
    i'm an avid forum reader. i read lots of posts, and have a sort of fuzzy index to them in the old wetware. i was reading this thread and wanted to link to this thread, so go to search for it, but couldn't find it. search is crucial.

02/05/2009 (12:24 pm)
    Quote:i hope not.
    Those where the exact same words that popped into my mind when I saw this topic.

Some previously unfindable searches from the old site can now be found (sort of), but the search term matches still seem kind of wonky to me. And sometimes something obvious doesn't return anything at all.
    02/05/2009 (1:58 pm)
    I am having problems with searching also. Seems that search isn't working on private forums at all.
    02/05/2009 (2:24 pm)
    ah, that would explain the particular thread i was having trouble with above.
    02/05/2009 (3:28 pm)
    It seems like I have no access to that thread, yet I do have access to other product forums I dont own.

It just return "you have no access", what product its the thread pertaining to?
    02/05/2009 (8:13 pm)
    I never thought I would miss the old search.

Let me give you another example.

Search for this thread on GG's search and you can't get it to appear.
    Well I say you can't get it to appear but I really only check the first ten or so pages that get returned for this search string "is GG search finalized".

But if I use google with this seach string site:www.www.twsanpi.cn is GG search finalized and abracadabra it come up in the first link. Google gets it on the first try even without the quotes.
    This thread is less than a day old and google got it.

For now I simple don't use GG's search.
    02/05/2009 (10:23 pm)
    Its funny how the old broken search was better.

To me this should be a top priority for the web team... search is what makes the community productive for new users and old dogs like myself.

02/06/2009 (1:08 am)
    I agree with Tom - it should be a top priority to fix it. The forums are main main source to get information. Unfortunately I have to waste hours every week to find what I need though :/
    02/06/2009 (4:45 am)
    Yes, its true, but I think its also a bit harsh to compare this search with the old one, that was almost completely useless.

I have to say though, that the better option would have been to make the google box to work, instead of using a custom solution.
    02/06/2009 (2:18 pm)
    Search definitely needs to be addressed, and is on our list of things to either fix or try a new implementation of in the near future.
    02/06/2009 (2:45 pm)
    great to hear, thanks Deborah.
    02/06/2009 (3:25 pm)
    please use the old search again, it found everything i ever needed to look for more or less with the right words... this search isnt picking up anything.
    02/09/2009 (5:15 pm)
    Deborah or any GG person,

while we're waiting for search to be fixed,
    it might still be useful to know a couple things about the current implementation.

* how do i search for term1 AND term2?
    google equivelant: use the plus symbol: +term1 +term2

* how do i search for a phrase ?
    google equivelant: put it in quotes: "this is the phrase i seek"

* is it possible to exclude terms ?
    google equivelant: use the minus symbol: term1 -term2

* how should i format what appear to be the two date fields ?
    yyyymmdd ? mm/dd/yy ?

tia, ooo
    02/09/2009 (9:50 pm)
    It appears that with the new site launch garagegames stopped using the google appliance. I guess they dropped it because they reached the limit the appliance would work with unless they purchased a more expensive unit or thought they didn't need it anymore. Hence why the old search worked far better with queries, but it didn't index anything new for nearly half a year before the new site launched hence the broken part. :P

A bit offtopic, but when will we get a preview post button?
    02/11/2009 (9:02 am)
    GG ?
    any pointers in the how-to-use-the-extant-search-functionality department ?
    02/11/2009 (3:21 pm)
    Our search is based on Apache Lucene, so standard lucene query syntax should work. See lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/queryparsersyntax.html for more info. I don't want to go into the exact way we index everything, so you won't be able to use field specific searches (that's what advanced search is for) but other syntax SHOULD work. Search is currently one of the major priorities right now, so expect some improvements there in the next major update.
    02/11/2009 (3:58 pm)
    awesome, thanks Jacob.
    02/23/2009 (3:04 pm)
    Jacob,
    do you know what portions of the Lucene syntax are expected to be functional in the current GG search ? is GG interested in bug reports around the search functionality ?

if so, here's one:
    * searching for quoted phrases seems to search for each word as a term
    eg, search All Documents for "Custom Shape Mod".
    it turns up the Custom Shape Mod resource, which is good,
    but it also turns up 438 pages of results, the vast majority of which don't contain the phrase "Custom Shape Mod". for example, here's one from the 200th page of results which doesn't even contain the word "custom". even stranger, searching for "custom shape mod" without quotes yields only 437 pages of results, not 438.
    02/25/2009 (1:30 pm)
    all these use cases seem much improved w/ the Feb. 25 site update, very nice!

免费污片不要钱的f2富二代app短视频下载安装 v1.1 - 风刑软件站